Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Engagement Story

So I thought life could not have been busier or more wonderful before...


And then Saturday came and changed everything. The short version: The most amazing man I have ever known got down on one knee and asked me to spend the rest of my life with him (I absolutely said YES)!

However - I know everyone really wants to hear the loooooooong version, so here it is! As you might remember Anders came to Kansas to spend Thanksgiving with my family. We had a wonderful time hanging out in Lawrence.


Thanksgiving was lovely. We watched movies, played board games, cooked, ate and drank wine. Each year my family writes down all of the things they are thankful for. Each thankful goes on a separate sheet of paper and into a basket. We then each draw out a handful and read them anonymously. They always range from the sweet and thoughtful (my amazing mother, my persevering father, my handsome, smart, successful brother) to the funny (thank goodness that rattlesnakes and razor blades are not fatal for dogs). This year we even included Anders parents - Nancy and Thor. They dictated their thankfuls to Anders and then we web-cammed them in while we read them out loud. It was so fun to virtually introduce our families and to get to share all that we are thankful for this holiday season.

My grandmother hosted a brunch for the cousins on Friday and it was so fun to catch up and see how they are doing.
But the best was yet to come...

On Saturday we had my Grandpa Art and Grandma Barb over for lunch. We had a lovely lunch of turkey soup and curried sweet potato soup. Yummm. After the dishes were cleared we were chatting around the kitchen table with my parents, brother and grandparents. Anders noted that it would probably be the last time we would see the grandparents this trip. He asked my grandmother if she thought he could stick around and come back again in the future. My grandmother said yes and something sweet about what a great guy they thought Anders was.

Anders responded with "Well I guess there is only one person left to ask..."

In the very next moment Anders was next to me and had dropped to one knee. He told me that words couldn't express the way that he loved me, but he hoped to spend the rest of our lives showing me. He brought out a perfect ring and asked me to marry him!
I immediately and very enthusiastically said YES! I found out later he had asked my parents and Drews blessing earlier in the trip. Knowing what an amazing man he is they all agreed that nothing would make them happier then seeing us together forever.
They all knew that the proposal would happen over lunch with my grandparents. Drew said he was so excited and nervous that he ended up holding his own hand under the table during the entire meal!

I was taken totally by surprise. It was so wonderful and meaningful that everyone was there to witness the proposal. It really felt like we were merging our two lives and families which is really special and important to both of us. They were able to share in this momentous occasion, celebrate with us, and fill me in on the things I forgot due to my very happy "I cant believe we are really engaged" daze!


Its true! We really are!



We immediately called Anders parents, put them on speaker phone and shared the happy news. The phone call was filled with lots of laughter, excitement and tears. We toasted our new family and enjoyed the magnitude of committing your whole life and love to another person.



We took a few quite moments alone to just enjoy it all and enjoy the beautiful 70 degree day!



And then called all of the grandmas!



We went for a walk around KU with the family and just spent the whole day celebrating!


November 28, 2009 was easily the happiest most important day of my life to date. It is hard to put into words how incredibly lucky and blessed I feel. Those of you who know Anders know instantly what a loving, generous, smart and driven man he is. I think I always hoped I would meet someone like him - but he is honestly so much more then I even could have imagined. He inspires me daily and is going to be an amazing partner, husband, father, and friend. I am truly overwhelmed with all that I have to be thankful for this year.


And did I mention how adorable and handsome he is?


Thank you all for the congratulations, well wishes and love we have received as the good news has spread. It means more then you will ever know.


So I will leave you hopefully with a few warm fuzzies after reading our sweet story and a picture of the peach love pie I baked for Anders the night we got engaged. Drew helped me out with the beautiful picture of a ring on the pie!
And - because I know everyone loves seeing the real ring I will leave you with a final picture of it. This picture doesn't nearly do it justice - it is just so breathtaking and spectacular in person. Did I mention what good taste he has?


We love you all!

8 comments:

  1. That is so sweet! I am so happy for you two. You really seem perfect for each other! Can't wait to meet Anders someday!

    I loved the part where Drew had to hold his own hand because he was so excited :) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....This is so great...congrats from JMU, LWT!!!! Rock Chalk Jayhawk...and what a wonderful and memorable and romantic way to continue your lives together...so happy for you...my best wishes to you and all your family. Dave Barnes

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED reading the story, the pictures are perfect, and so incredibly happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful engagement story! Congratulations to you both! I'm excited to know you and Drew have a blog. You're on my reader list now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you two found each other, and have taken the big step of engagement! It only gets better!
    Happy wedding planning.
    Love, Aunt Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome!

    Man I wish I had documentary of our engagement like this! It is something to cherish forever. (Thanks for sending the link on mom and Chriss)

    Congrats again, can't wait to meet my new cousin!

    James

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good work, Anders!
    undagumbelieveable -- congratulations!

    ReplyDelete