Thursday, November 5, 2009

Defending

Yesterday I set my dissertation defense date. Friday, December 11th at 2pm I will defend my 166 page book and the associated study in front of three faculty members and community members. I can hardly believe it could happen this quickly, but after my last phone conference with my advisor, she stated that there were no new additions she would recommend beyond a editing one last time overall. I am still stunned that the date is set. For the last six years I have been working on a degree and that is the last hurdle that needs to be complete before I am ready to finish. And to be Dr. Drew.

Suddenly, I feel like I have a lot of work to do to get myself ready! I sent off the document last night to a professional editor who will sweep it for errors. Then I need to do one last read-through, bind three copies and send it to UC Santa Barbara for my committee to have no later than Friday, Nov. 27th. Next, I have to develop a brief presentation about the study and the results for the day of the presentation. Finally, I have to defend and answer any question they can fire at me!

Five years to prepare and yet somehow it's all happening so fast!

1 comment: